Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Difficulty in getting erection. Advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10454 Questions
After sitting down for long periods at work I have problems getting erections when I get home
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Sitting for a long time sometimes causes compression of the nerves coming out from the sacral hiatus and are responsible for the innervation of perineum.

If the problem subsides on its own after sometime and happens only occasionally then you can have methylcobalamin supplements and avoid sitting on any hard surface.

If the problem is persistent, then I advise you to get an MRI of lumbosacral spine done to find out any soft tissue inflammation responsible for the problem.

You can consult an orthopedician for proper investigations and further management.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Difficulty in getting erection. Advice? 19 hours later
Thanks for your help. Just to add to the question I wrote before. As well as not being able to get a full erection I also have problems urinating and my telsticles change shape. As though they have filled with fluid. Not the scrotum but the testicles them selfs. I have read a little about enlarged prostate, could that also be the problem? This all seems to happen after sitting down for long periods or operating machinery such as a Bobcat for a few hours.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

The problem in urinating might be related to nerve compression due to sitting for long time.

The swelling in testicles is not related to swelling of prostate. It needs to be examined by a Urologist to find out the cause.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor