Diagnosed with fatty liver. Can this be reversed with Magnesium and glycemic supplements?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been diagnosed with fatty liver, can this be reversed with Magnesium, glycemic supplements, cutting out all grains, loosing weight, have already lost 15 pounds 185 down to 170 and need to loose another 10 also I am excercising a lot and my liver test show that I am HBc Ab positive HBs Ag negative HBsAb 479 I am 64 and been like this 25 years Is there something else I can do , I would like to live till 73 . Two family members died from chirrosis, should I be seeing a Hepatologist or a gastroenterologist
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hepatologist is preferable... Detailed Answer: Hi, Fatty liver can be reversed if we can keep all the precipitation factors in control. You are doing a good job by shedding those extra pounds. Continue your efforts to get your body mass index under limits. I am also glad that you are protected against Hepatitis B infection (with Hbs antibody titre above reference limits) and negative Hbs Ag. In addition, I suggest you to quit alcohol if any. Get your serum cholesterol checked and if that's abnormal treat it with appropriate medications. It is quite possible to reverse fatty liver - not by magnessium or glycemic supplements, but with your efforts to practice healthy life style. You can consult a hepatologist (if available) or a gastroenterologist with good experience in managing hepatitis. Your current family physician can help in getting you a referral. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Hello Dr XXXXXXX Thank you for your quick answer, I have my file and it states that my cholestorel levels for HDL 1.43 and my LDL 1.94 My AST is 28 and ALT 18 I assume these are normal levels as my family doctor did not mention them and he says I do not need to see a Hepatologist as he would do the same tests. What is your opinion about my result tests and should I insist on getting a referral for a Hepatologist
Answered by Dr. Prasad 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes.... Detailed Answer: I apologies for the late reply... Your HDL and LDL values seems to be in limits. AST and ALT are definitely in normal limits. How long ago did you test the lipids and liver function? If it is not in the recent past say 2-3 months ago, it would be worthwhile to repeat the test. I would urge you to visit a hepatologist / gastroenterologist and get all your queries solved regarding fatty liver per se. That being said, hepatitis is unlikely the cause of fatty liver in your case. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E