Developed sore throat with white spots on tonsils. Is this due to throat infection or elevated WBC and neutrophils?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Question: My 8 yrs old daughter started with a high fever 3 days ago (11/3) (102f+) and for 30 hrs no other symptoms .... Her blood tests show high WBC at 13.3 and neutrophil differential at 72% .... All other blood tests are within normal range. She has since developed a sore throat with white spots on her tonsils and difficulty in swallowing / eating .... Is this throat infection the reason for elevated WBC and neutrophils ??? I am concerned because I read that high wbc can aslo be associated with Leukemia... Thanks
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Throat infection is the cause for elevated counts. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. High WBC count of13.3 with a high neutrophil count of 72% is suggestive of presence of presence of bacterial infection. And as the child is having sore throat, difficulty in swallowing with white spots on her tonsils, the focus of bacterial infection is tonsillitis. So tonsillitis (throat infection) is the reason for elevated WBC count and neutrophil count. Nothing to worry about leukemia as this is not considered in the setting of fever of short duration, presence of throat infection, and slightly elevated counts. Therefore I suggest you to consult the pediatrician for clinical examination, interpretation of all reports, and to prescribe an appropriate antibiotic for throat infection. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 hours later
I remain very concern .... Her fever is still high and she now has enlarged nodes in her groin and armpit as well ... Could tonsilitis do that .... I am worried she may have another underlying condition which we are not able to detect as yet ...
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Nodes are seen in many viral fevers Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for getting back. In many infections like viral fevers, infectious mononucleosis, there will be enlargement of nodes in armpit and groin in addition to features of tonsillitis and high fever. Presence of nodes is seen in viral fevers and rickettsial infections also. So nothing to worry by thinking too much and be in follow up with her pediatrician till she recovers completely from this illness. And the doctor will do appropriate clinical examinations and investigations to diagnose the condition and to rule out your concerns and apprehension about any underlying serious illness. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.