Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Detected with TB, a doubt of sarcodosis and liver cirrhossis. Using AKT, steroid. How to know if TB is under control ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 121 Questions
detected with tb with a doubt of sarcodosis and liver cirrhosis in dec 2011 modified akt staarted because of cirrhosis i.e inh 300, ithabutol 1000, and oflox 800. and steroid . steroid disscontinued in march akt is still ccontinuing should we start rcin for tb or how we know that tb is under control and patient is still occasionally getting low grade fever, and peripheral edema
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 2 hours later

Thank you for writing in

As antitubercular drugs affect liver functions, the dose and the type of antitubercular drugs prescribed is influenced by state of liver and liver function test reports. The patient in question is started on modified AKT drugs for the same reason.

Treatment of disseminated TB is ideally treated for 6-9 month if bacteria have not developed resistance. In case there is meningitis (infection of layers around brain) it is prescribed for 9-12 months. The duration of treatment can be prolonged further if the bacterium is resistant to common drugs. Response to treatment is determined clinically if there is improvement in symptoms, improvement in weight / appetite and microscopic / culture test come negative. Further the dose and treatment is modified based on the current liver function test.

Hence I encourage you to consult your treating doctor and discuss about the next course of treatment and whether or not to add Rcin (rifampicin). As fever and oedema still persists, it’s still not completely cured and treatment needs to continue.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor