Contracted bronchitis. Why am I allergic to smoke and have lack of thirst?

Dr. Sujoy Khan

Allergist and Immunologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi. I am XXXXXXX. On November 28 I contracted bronchitis. It lasted for almost 6 weeks but just when it was trying to dissipate, I developed an allergic reaction to some cigarette smoke in a night club. This went on for a week and then I became much worse, health-wise, and had some tests done. The tests showed I had almost bottomed-out potassium and mono!!! So all of these things were experienced within days of each other. Some days, even though I am doing NOTHING but resting, I feel as if I'm dying from all these ailments.....all of them together feel like they're killimg me. And as much as I need to drink a lot of fluids right now, I am having to FORCE myself to drink almost anything! I AM NOT THIRSTY!!! Haven't been for a few months now........Any idea whatsoever is wrong with me???
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX
Your predominant symptoms do appear to be fatigue and lack of thirst that is also referred to as adipsia.
Hypothyroidism is a known cause of lack of thirst, and as you already have proven hypothyroidism, it is important to check that the current replacement thyroxine dose is adequate. You will need a TSH, fT4 test to know this.

I hope you have had a Chest X XXXXXXX to make sure there is no pneumonic patch of a consolidation that has remained untreated that can affect the salt water / potassium levels.
Also important is to know the sodium levels, and if that is high, would explain the feeling of lack of thirst. As the thirst center is located in the hypothalamus (brain), a CT scan may be indicated if the above conditions discussed do not apply to your case.
If you have ever had a history of brain problems, do consult an endocrinologist with this history of no thirst at the earliest.

I hope this was useful.
Best Wishes.