Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Complains of lack of energy and pain in legs. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
this is about my wife . she is a manager in retail on her feet a lot , she has been making comments about not having any energy and her legs hurt. if you just touch her legs she hurts. I can squeeze them gently and it hurts.
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...there could be various reasons for it.
Detailed answer...

Thanks for the query.

There can be various causes for pain in legs after standing for a long time and the most common cause is muscle fatigue due to constant standing however there can be other common causes like...
Dehydration and loss of electrolytes like potassium,sodium or deficiency of calcium and magnesium.
Muscle pain due to use of drugs like statins
Use of diuretics resulting in loss of electrolytes.

anaemia due to lack of iron.

Peripheral neuropathic pains due to diabetes or alcoholism or lack of VIT B 12

These are the common causes for pain in calf and legs and you must get investigated for these by consulting your doctor.

Although there are other causes for pain like venous insufficiency,atherosclerosis of arteries of legs,sciatica etc but these should be looked into only after the common causes are ruled out.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.

Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Complains of lack of energy and pain in legs. What to do? 5 hours later
She does not take any drugs , very seldom sick she is in every good shape ,her blood pressure is good. She says her bones in her legs and arms hurt. We both are never sick enough to go to a doctor , it being we neither one of us have a doctor to go to. I am
concerned about my wife.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
It is very good that both of you enjoy good health but you need to find a doctor and get the required investigations done to find out the exact cause.
In addition to the causes listed, you must also get your wife investigated for osteoporosis by getting a BONE DENSITOMETERY done because weak and porous bones can also give rise to general fatigue and bone pains.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor