Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Colonoscopy and flexure biopsy revealed ulcertation and changes of collagenous colitis. What do you recommend?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 2130 Questions
I am 54; 5'2" and 120 pounds. I recently had a colonoscopy and splenic flexure biopsy revealing an ulcertation and changes of collagenous colitis. the person who did the colonscopy cannot treat and I must wait two months to see a specialist. Any recommendations?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.     

Collagenous colitis is an inflammatory ailment or disease of large gut with peak incidence in the 5th decade of life, more common in women than men.

Signs and symptoms involves watery diarrhea, in the absence of rectal bleeding.

In the past it was rarely diagnosed but recently more and more cases are seen and diagnosed.

Diagnosis can only be made or confirmed with with colonoscopic biopsy

Radiological tests, like barium enema are generally normal.

The exact cause of collagenous colitis is not known, but the effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like diclofenac sodium are commonly implicated.

Smoking has also been implicated as a risk factor for this disease .

Treatment of collagenous colitis is challenging.

An association between collagenous colitis and celiac disease has also been reported by some people.

With this background I would like to make the following recommendations.

Stop using proton pump inhibitors till you get an appointment with gastroenterologist.

Eat a well balanced and fiber XXXXXXX diet. Decrease the consumption of coffee and fat XXXXXXX diets.

Drink adequate amounts of fluids, but not the aerated(Carbonated) beverages.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor