• question-icon

    Chronic scrotal pain. Hernia and torsion tests negative. Doppler and scan report normal. Mild varicocele detected. Permanent solution?

Posted on Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Testicle Problems
Question: hi, i have chronic scrotal pain on the right side which comes and go for couple of days.....all tests for hernia, torsion, is negative and every all other readings for testicular size and abdomen doppler and scan are all normal i have mild varicocele on the right side which according to the doc should not give the pain but yet the painful episode is quite recurrent and can be quite painful at times with right testicals pulled up, pain killers gives me relief until the next episode... pls help
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Varicocele is the dilatation of the testicular vein. Usually it does not cause any problem. However, it occassionally causes chronic pain or infertility.

We usually do not offer treatment for pain caused by varicocele because significant patients experience pain of the scar.

However, if the pain is troublesome and significant then it should be operated upon. The severity of pain has no relation to the degree of varicocele. Hence, if you have chronic pain and also varicocele you should get it operated upon. It shall help yourself.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Jyoti Patil
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv goel 24 minutes later
can varicocele cause infections like prostatitis or orchitis, once my doctor said it is a infection and put me on antibiotics, the pain and the inflamation did subside but subsequent doppler didnt show any infection, and niether was any blood test taken..sorry to say the urologist i visited didnt seem to be of much help, just puts me on nsaid's, which iam sure is a temprorary solution... thanks doc.. just answer this for me.:)
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 11 hours later

Thanks for the follow-up.

Varicocele does not cause orchitis or prostatitis.

Most of the doctors shall put the patient on NSAIDs as there is no other solution available other than surgery. What you can try is to keep your testis elevated with scrotal support. However, if that does not help then surgery is the only option.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you no further queries.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by
Dr. Rajiv goel


Practicing since :1998

Answered : 579 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Orchitis

doctor1 MD

I am a 19 year old boy.height-5ft6inch,weight-58kg,I have been diagnosed with filaria orchitis.i am taking the prescribed medicines.is it safe for...

doctor1 MD

ever since i was 15, i have had pain when i urinate. There has never been discharge or anything strange of that nature. As I understand it, urine...

doctor1 MD

I'm 22yrs old male, about 172cm height and 55kg weight.
I'm thin and I had mumps orchitis when I was 7yr of old.
My left testes is half of the...

doctor1 MD

I am Rahul, 27yr, Suffered from tubercular epididymo orchitis 4yr back & treated with ATD. There is a palpable nodule on the urethra which was...

doctor1 MD

My left testicle has been giving me slight pain and discomfort for around a week now. Especially when I lay on my side to go to sleep, it floats...

doctor1 MD

I'm experiencing pain in my testicles and large swelling. Do I need to visit the emergency right now or should I wait until the morning. It's...

doctor1 MD

My one testicle has grown in size to almost twice the other one, just within the last few months. NO pain involved. (?)

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

177 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Rajiv goel
  • Q - Burst appendix, antibiotics, nausea, upset stomach, cramps, blood in urine

  • Q - Tight foreskin

  • Q - How to treat pain and bend in the penis ?

  • Q - Hypertension, kidney scars, creatinine level, kidney transplant

  • Q - What is the reason for lump above my left testicle?

  • Q - Can a blocked testis tube be reopened surgically or otherwise ?

  • Q - Open pyeloplasty, ureter reconstructed, throbbing pain in the operated...

  • Q - Blood in urine, frequent full bladder, lower abdominal fullness,...

  • Q - Why can I not sustain erection while having sex?

  • Q - What is the reason for redness of eyes when i masturbate?