Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Chronic lower back pain with huge muscle knots. Should I go for surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10337 Questions
Friend has chronic lower back pain with huge muscle knots. He's tried everything!! Can they be surgically removed? He's willing to do anything!!
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Chronic low back pain with huge muscle knots can be due to a physical illness related to nerves, muscle, bone and abdominal-pelvic organ, which needs to be determined after a proper physical examination and investigations like MRI scan of the back.

Common Causes are:

Nerve root syndromes - those that produce symptoms of nerve impingement (a nerve is directly irritated): Herniated discs, Spondylosis and Spinal disc degeneration

Musculoskeletal pain syndromes that produce low back pain includes myofascial pain syndromes and fibromyalgia.

• Infections of the bones: Bacterial and spinal Tuberculosis

• Noninfectious inflammation of the spine (spondylitis) can cause stiffness and pain in the spine that is particularly worse in the morning

• Renal stone
Right now he can start with adequate rest, hot compresses, good analgesic medications and avoiding strenuous exercises.
It is best to visit an orthopaedician and clinically-radiologically establish a diagnosis to commence definitive treatment. Surgical removal can be considered depending on the type and extent of the lumps.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Chronic lower back pain with huge muscle knots. Should I go for surgery? 17 minutes later
He has had an MRI a few months ago that did show a bulging disc, but was told he was not a surgical candidate. He suffered a TBI as a result of a car wreck in the early 90's. This left him with stroke like symptoms on his left side. He finished college with a Masters degree and had a very successful college basketball coaching career. He now enjoys walking and playing golf for exercise and recreation. The knots are causing him so much pain that he has not been able to enjoy these activities.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The symptoms that he is having are more likely to be due to a nerve irritation rather than the muscle knots. If the knots are painful then hot fomentation, muscle relaxants and regular physiotherapy can help him. An FNAC can help in detecting the type of lumps he is having on his back. The pain can be related to a chronic infection. For nerve related pains, methylcobalamin supplements and medicines like Gabapentin can help him. He can get these prescribed from his neurologist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor