Suggest treatment for sharp radicular pain in the leg and buttock

Excellent

Question
Since yesterday, I have a sharp pain in my right leg at the knee, and above, and the right buttock. It's sharp, 'stabbing' pain in the knee and buttock.

Nothing seems to help it (e.g. Ibuprofen, changing position (standing, sitting, laying, kneeling), heating pad).

The worse pain (nauseous-making) in the knee (feels like a knife inserted) and in the buttock. The front leg pain (above the knee) is more of a pulsating pain.

Prior to the pain, I was just doing normal household things, sat down for a few minutes rest, when I went to get back up from a seated position, it was very painful and hasn't left.

Worse, if anything.
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Radicular pain

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.

Based on your description it seems you have developed radicular pain. It means you have nerve compression at your lower back and that is causing the pain radiation in buttock and leg.

My clinical acumen says it's L4, L5 radiculopathy. That is compression of nerve in between L4 and L5 disc.

For pain i advise following:
1. A combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamine
2. To do hot fomentation of the affected area.
3. To apply Diclofenac ointment like Volini locally.
4. To get physiotherapy done particularly Ultrasonic heat massage.
5. To take a combination of pain killer and muscle relaxant containing Diclofenac and Thiocholchiside for a short course.

If you don't get relief in short course your doctor would post you for MRI LS spine.

This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for sharp radicular pain in the leg and buttock 50 minutes later
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Good luck.

Detailed Answer:
I wish you a speedy recovery.