What causes numbness in the right arm while sleeping regardless of position?

Diabetologist
Question
My entire right arm keeps falling asleep whenever I sleep, regardless of my position. This has been happening for over a week.
I have a history of both stroke and neuropathy. I am a 54 yr old woman.
Tue, 22 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible radiculopathy

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
I have read your message.
I think I can help you.
the symptoms of the queries are quite suggestive of possible radiculopathy.
in this condition the radical or nerve coming out of vertebral column is getting compressed due to which you feel the numbness of the arm.
I really feel you will need to meet a Neurologist to examine you and confirm the diagnosis subsequent to which an MRI of the spine may be needed.
meanwell make sure that you are not sleeping with a pillow that is too high because that will increase the compression of the nerve.
if actually found to be a radiculopathy you will need a prescription for medicines like gabapentin and Pregabalin along with physiotherapy.
I have tried to make it as simple as possible and in case you have any further questions regarding this complaint feel free to ask follow on query.
best of luck.
Dr Mittal