Child started hearing swishing noise. No fever. Is this a sign of ear infection?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My eight year old son started complaining about hearing a "swishing" noise in his right ear today? He does not have any fever or any other symptoms. He at first thought it was like water in his ear, but he has not been swimming, etc. Could he possible have an ear infection?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.
The condition he is suffering from is called tinnitus.
Most often it occurs due to involvement of the inner ear. Infections can result in this.
Sometimes it occurs due to even a simple cause like wax in the external ear. Removing the wax in this condition will relieve the symptom.
So he needs to get examined by his ENT doctor to rule out these issue.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini