Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Child having chronic constipation. Taking duphelac syrup. Is anemic. Treatment for gastric problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 711 Questions
This is for my baby girl XXXXXXX Zaara, aged 25 months. She has been having chronic constipation since she was a new born. We are using Duphelac syrup daily and Dulcolac suppository occassioanly to help her pass motion. Also she has to be given colicade occassioanlly to relieve her of gastric problem. We tried giving more fruit jiuce/ grapes etc, but nothing has worked, I am worried about the prolonged use of these medicines and its impact on my baby's health. Would you advise on any alternatives or is the current treatment is good enough.

Also, she has not started speaking, although she understands and mumbles words which are difficult to understand. Is this something that I should be worried about? I am hesitant to send her to play school because she is anemic, and hence might be prone to infections. Kindly advice
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
I can understand your concern.
Constipation should be treated by two ways.
First the stool should be softened.This is done naturally by giving plenty of fluids,fruits and fibres.Digestive biscuits help a lot.Otherwise lactulose syrups on a regular basis for 15 days helps.Please avoid dulcolax suppository.
Avoid iron containg food like chocholate,dates etc.
Avoid coffee and caffiene containg products.Give plenty of vegetables.
Secondly please look for a anal fissure.
If it is present then it should be trested with Anovate cream and 5% Lignocaine jelly locally thrice daily for 2 months.Regular toilet training is necessary.

There is a dilemma. She has anemia for which you are giving Iron syrup.
Iron is famous for causing constipation.
Please check the cause of anemia first and then treat your child.
For anemia do a Serum ferritin and TIBC test.
If they are normal then do a test for Thalassemia carrier status(In these babies anemia is usual and cannot be treated with iron)
At this age should be able to speak 10 single words.
If she persists to have this problem consult a speech and hearing clinic.
Send your child to play school.
Consult your doctor if the problem persists.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor