Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Child has flank pain, blood in urine, nausea, fatigue, headache. Bloodwork, ultrasound normal

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 328 Questions
Hi, my 17 year old daughter had dull right flank pain for 2 months. She had tea colored blood in her urine for about 3 days about a month ago. She now has had nausea, fatigue, and a headache off and on for two weeks. She has had blood work and urine analysis and an ultra sound of her kidneys and all came back fine. Why does she feel so sick?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Dull flank pain with tea coloured urine can be a feature of acute nephritis, where the kidney is affected and causes some 'lysed' blood cells to come into the urine. Kidney stone can also present in a similar way and rarely other causes could include any episode of hemolysis.

General ill health in the form of nausea and fatigue could be signs of the same disease (acute nephritis).

To differentiate the above possibilities we can run investigations like complete hemogram, platelet count, serum creatinine, urine Routine and ultrasound. I see that the ultrasound scan was normal. It would be better if you could provide the results of the above tests too.

Also we need to give importance to certain facts like:
1. was there any fever or sore throat during or preceding the illness,
2. Any history of burning sensation in urine, swelling in feet and legs, any decrease in urine output,
3. Laboratory reports (even though normal) especially serum creatinine value
4. Blood pressure
5. Any visual disturbance

Please let me know as much information as possible so that I can provide you the most likely explanation for her clinical condition.

Awaiting your reply

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor