Child has congestion and fever, body rash. What might be the possibilities?

Posted on Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Question: my 6 month old grandson had/has congestion and a mild fever as of 4 days ago. now he woke up with a full body rash as well. they are en route to the doctor. what might be the possibilities. He is on formula full time as of 3 weeks ago.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 50 minutes later
Hello ,
The most likely possibilities in such a case could be a viral infection ( roseola more likely), a bacterial sepsis, or any drug rash or an allergic reaction.
Out of these roseola seems to be the most probable, since it is known to affect normal healthy 6mths old infants and typically presents as fever followed by generalised rash after 3_4 days and no major complications.The rash may spare the face , subsides on its own gradually over few days and has no long term effects.
The condition requires no specefic treatment except anti pyretics for fever and maybe antihistamines for rash.
It can be diagnosed by the childs pediatrician after thorough clinical examination.
If there is any doubt then further work up may be required in the form of blood tests like blood counts, smear, etc.
Drug reaction is unlikely if only tylenol is used and more likely if any antibiotics are given.Allergy to formula less likely since fever was preceding.
So please do not worry, the condition is mostly benign and not worrisome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases