What causes fever followed by rash on ears and neck?

Posted on Thu, 3 Apr 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 11 ur old daughter has cold symptoms and a low grade fever for two days and since yesterday she has a weird rash on her ears and behind them and slightly down her neck. I have attached pics
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Likely to be due to viral flu. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The symptoms your daughter is having are likely to be due to a viral flu. It is common to have rash as one of the symptoms of a viral flu. In most of the viral infections the rash starts after 2-3 days of fever, may spread to the whole body or peak for a couple of days and then gradually subside on its own in few days to a week. The rash might be associated with itching and may respond to antihistamine drugs like cetrizine or hydroxyzine. The other possibilities though unlikely in your daughter's case could be a drug reaction to any medicines taken or bacterial sepsis.These are usually more severe and require prompt treatment. In your child they are not likely as she has no associated symptoms now. But if there is any new symptom like sudden high grade fever chills fainting bleeding, pain, breathing difficulty then please consult your pediatrician for confirmation of diagnosis . I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon