Chest X-ray showed pneumonia in lung. On advil and tylenol. Should I consult a doctor?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: 4 year old son , chest X-ray shows pnemonia in lung . Fever is down to 37.2 I have been overlapping Advil and Tylenol. He is on Biaxon for 4 days , should I take him to hospital? Has a hive on face too?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
It seems that Biaxin is working well for him and the fever is well under control. The hive on the face is commonly associated with such infections. Most of the times it is a self limiting rash which improves over 5-7 days. Right now you can continue with the treatment as the symptoms are improving.
In case he develops a high fever or the rashes are associated with vesicles or they turn purple in appearance then consulting his pediatrician for a detailed examination is necessary.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
Thank you , I'm glad we didn't spend hours
At hospital. His fever is still down thank god.
How long do pneumonia lasts? And is he prone
To them for now on?

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It usually takes 5-7 days for the infection to subside. You need to continue with the antibiotic as prescribed by his pediatrician even if he is symptomatically better.
This infection does not make him prone to infections in future. You can boost his immunity by giving him a Vitamin C XXXXXXX diet.
Hope my answer is helpful.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards