Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Can redness,swelling and pain in groin with difficulty in walking be symptoms of cellulitis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
My husband cleaned out the gutters on our house on Wednesday afternoon by climbing on the roof and blowing out the leaves. He told me Wednesday he knew he would be sore and he definitely was sore the next day, specifically in the lower legs. He is 59 and reasonably healthy, though he suffered a disc rupture in 2009 between L4-L5 and has a permanent partial disability because of it. By Thursday, he was definitely sore, but walked and worked it out as best as he could. Friday morning, he went to an early-morning Bible study and came home with fever and chills, shaking violently. I took care of him and put him to bed with some Tylenol and water, came back home from work at lunch, and his temp was about 103. He has no congestion or other flu symptoms. He did tell me his right groin hurts. Today, he has a red and very tender lower right leg, and his groin is swollen, a little bit red, and a slight bruise below the swelling. He can barely walk when he first gets up and says the main soreness is between the knee and the ankles, most predominantly in the lower interior area. The whole calf is red, though. My question is whether this may be cellulitis or could it possibly be another kind of problem? Additionally, do you view that I need to take him in to see an ER doctor at this time? I have been giving him two extra-strength Tylenol, 500 mg, approximately every 6-8 hours.
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need to be seen ASAP Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX, Thanks for your query. Most definitely, he needs to be seen in the ED as sson as possible; my main 2 differential diagnoses with such a scenario would be a cellulitis (which needs antibiotics, and is supported by the malaise, high fever and local inflammatory symptoms) vs. a clot in the leg, which can also give fever and local inflammatory symptoms. I would not be surprised if he needs an ultrasound of the leg to rule out a clot. If it is infectious, the vast majority of cases are bacterial, and NEED antibiotics. Hope this helps, wish you both the best, Dr Brenes-Salazar MD Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can redness,swelling and pain in groin with difficulty in walking be symptoms of cellulitis? 4 minutes later
Dear Dr. Brenes-Salazar, Thank you so much. As I have problems with chronic venous insufficiency, and as I have had cellulitis before myself, I thought this may be the case, and I am hoping to get him in to the doctor then as soon as possible. He has to be agreeable; please keep us in prayer that he will do what is right with me and go see the doctor. Thank you again for your valuable information. Many prayers and blessings for a wonderful Christmas. Sincerely, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 days later
Brief Answer: Blessings to you too Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX, I am glad that you are looking after him. Blessings to you and your husband. Happy Holidays! Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor