What causes breathlessness and swelling in the legs post physical activity?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I have shortness of breath with any physical activity and my feet and legs have been swelling.
Tue, 15 May 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
you should check kidneys and heart function

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

First, you should avoid long stranding, keep legs elevated when lying and reduce salt intake. Also, wear elastic stockings.

Well, there are few possible causes. I this is seen on both ankles then, it may indicate symptom of venous insufficiency, a condition in which blood inadequately moves up the veins from the legs and feet up to the heart.
Normally, the veins keep blood flowing upward with one-way valves. When these valves become damaged or weakened, the blood leaks back down the vessels and fluid is retained in the soft tissue of the lower legs, especially the ankles and feet.

Chronic venous insufficiency can lead to skin changes, skin ulcers, and infection. You should treat this with elastic stockings, keeping leg elevated and in severe caes you should see vascular surgeon for further treatment.

Second, in some cases it may insicate this heart or kidney disease. Ankles that swell in the evening could be a sign of retaining salt and water because of right-sidedheart failure. Kidney disease can also cause foot and ankle swelling.

When kidneys are not functioning properly, fluid can build up in the body.

. If your swelling is accompanied by other symptoms, including fatigue, loss of appetite, and weight gain, see your doctor right away. If you feel short of breath or have chest pain, pressure, or tightness, call doctor.

Wish you good health. Regards