What causes muscle pain in the thigh while walking?

Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Diabetes
Question: I am a75 y/o female and in excellent health. I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2010 but have managed it well with diet and exercise. I have brought my A1C down from 7.0 to 6.3 with herbal supplements and diet and moderate exercise. I weigh about 112 lbs and 5' 51/2" tall. For the past several months I have been experiencing mild thigh muscle pain when I walk, especially when I first wake up in the morning or when I get up to use the bathroom. I have no tingling or acute pain on walking. What could possibly be causing my discomfort?
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are several possible condition that can cause your symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I have gone through your query and understood your concern.

Your last A1C result is perfect and this means that your Diabetes is under control.

People with diabetes are prone to nerve damage, or neuropathy.
Peripheral neuropathy is chronic complication of diabetes and it can cause leg pain.
But in my opinion the cause of your mild thigh muscle pain when you walk,is not diabetic neuropathy.You have not tingling or burning sensation,numbness or reduced ability to feel temperature changes.These are the most common symptoms of diabetic neuropathy.

Your thingh pain can be caused by peripheral artheropathy(Peripheral artery disease), chronic venous insufficiency or Lumbar spinal stenosis.

All these diagnosis should be taken in consideration because all these condition can possibly cause your discomfort.

I suggest to consult physically your physician because it is necessary to do some tests and investigations to reach the right diagnosis and only than you can have the right treatement.

Hope this is helpful.
Thanks for using HCM.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Elona Xhardo 51 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt reply. I must state, however, that I do not have "pain". it is muscle soreness. I do believe that the most likely cause is due to lumbar stenosis as I do have a herniated disc as a result of a prior injury. I have chronic numbness in the first 4 toes, starting from my little toe, in my left foot. Could this possibly be the cause of the bilateral soreness of my legs? I also feel some slight pain in my left hip joint when I stand especially after sitting for a while. I was diagnosed with PAD shortly after I had a hysterectomy due to sharp pain in my left groin on ambulation. The pain went away after continued daily walking and I was placed on baby aspirin. I stopped taking the asprin after several months as I started taking heavy doses of Tumeric which also can cause blood thinning. The groin pain has never returned. I still take Tumeric on a daily basis. I do not take any etc meds as I prefer natural, herbal supplements.
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,lumbar stenosis can be the cause of your symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again
I appologise for the late reply.

As we age, the spine changes, often leading to a degeneration of the vertebrae (bones), discs, muscles and ligaments (connective tissues) that together make up the spinal column. These changes may lead to spinal stenosis and can produce symptoms of leg pain, especially with activity.(like in your case.)

If your bilateral leg pain interfere with your daily activities,i suggest to talk with a local neurologist about the right treatement of your symptoms.
A targeted program of spinal stenosis exercises with guidance from a physical therapist can prevent further debilitation and ensure comfort.

About the peripheral artery diseases,the treatement with aspirin or turmeric with its anti-thrombotic properties is very helpful.

An doppler ultrasound or an angiography can be helpful for your doctor to evaluate blood flow through your blood vessels and identify blocked or narrowed arteries.

Apart Baby aspirin that prevent blood clots,Your doctor may prescribe medicine to lower blood pressure ,the cholesterol level and control pain.

Hope i have answered to all your questions.
If you have other doubts,feel free and ask.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj