• question-icon

Can prolonged intake of Meloxicam cause anemia and low iron?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been taking Meloxicam for the last few months. Now for the first time my blood work is showing anemia 10.6 and low iron. Can this cause that?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

It is possible that the meloxicam could have contributed to the iron deficiency anemia that you are currently experiencing.

This medication is an anti-inflammatory medication which can sometimes increase the risk for gastrointestinal bleeding. specifically it can increase the risk of irritation in the stomach or ulcers in the stomach or upper intestine.

Your doctors will need to do additional investigation to help determine why if your iron level is low and why you have the anemia. You might benefit from a procedure to look inside your esophagus and stomach. If that procedure is negative then a colonoscopy maybe recommended.

Thank you again for sending your question. I encourage you to continue to follow up with your doctor for further investigation. Hopefully they will determine the cause of your anemia which sounds like maybe related to some degree of gastrointestinal bleeding.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist