Can Xanax intake cause sinus related problems?

ENT Specialist
Question
Question for the doctor.
I'm allergic to penicillin, micen, sulphur, codeine, arethromicen, and ampacillin. I am interested in finding out if you ever came across xanax causing a patient to develop sinusitis. I previously took xanax for approximately 7 years and I decided that I wanted to stop taking them, after all the withdrawals and getting over the no sleeping....my sinuses started draining down into my throat and are really driving me crazy.....I have seen a ear,nose and throat specialist who performed surgery saying that it was an abbreviated septum..not sure if that is the correct term but he cut the bone out if my nose and put in two stents in my drainage canals....I have recovered from the surgery but the problem remains the same....he also told me that the hairs in my nose are dead and their was nothing else he could do. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Xanax is not the cause...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query. I'll try my best to help you with this problem.

Xanax is not the cause of your sinus related problems.

After going through the history, I do understand the root cause of your problem is allergic rhinitis.

As you have already got the nasal septum corrected, obstruction has been cleared off. So, the next problem remaining is the draining of the nose, which could be due to allergy.

I honestly feel, you would require steroid nasal spray along with oral antihistamine and oral decongestant. Also, you need to take short course of oral steroids to control your problems.

Talk to your doctor about this, I'm sure, he will help you out.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: Can Xanax intake cause sinus related problems? 12 hours later
Thank you for your response....however I had forgotten to mention that the steroids treatment was done with no success. Also I did try a steroid nose spray after surgery which did not effect it at all.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Individual use of medicines may not be effective

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

When the medicines are used individually it may not be effective. A multi drug therapy is always effective.

A combination of oral steroid, local inhalation steroid, antihistamine, decongestant and saline nasal spray has to be used.

Once the symptoms are controlled, then one after the other, the medicines can be reduced.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon