What causes vertigo after discontinuation of Codeine?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi I had a hysterectomy 6weeks ago and had to go to theatre 4 weeks ago to evacuate the large amount of blood I lost. Temperature came down and I was discharged after lots of antibiotics. I was on citalopram but stopped it 4 weeks ago as interacted with all the meds. I feel ok, painful muscles but now on brufen only. Stopped taking codeine yesterday morning. I have since developed vertigo. Can you think of a reason for me?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be codeine withdrawal

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description there are two possibilities for vertigo.

1. Codeine withdrawal- If you were using codeine for a week or longer there is good possibility that your vertigo is related to codeine withdrawal. There is highest possibility for this condition as the vertigo started after 12 hours of last dose of codeine.

2. Anemia could be another possibility as you recently undergone surgery which often leads to have blood loss. The possibility for this condition is low as anemia rarely causes typical vertigo like symptoms.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 37 minutes later
How long will it take to settle down?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

The withdrawal symptoms of codeine can be continued for 10-14 days depending on the dose and duration of use. In case you have short duration of intake in prescription dose ranges there is good possibility that the withdrawal symptoms will go away before expected time.

I hope this helps you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.