Can Paracetamol be given for an infant?

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Child Health
Question: Can you give a XXXXXXX baby paracetamol? She was born at 30 weeks and is now 7 weeks old weighing 2.9kgs. If so what is the correct dose?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Corrected gestational age is 37 weeks, can give paracetamol.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thank you for writing to healthcaremagic with your question.

Yes you can give paracetamol to your baby girl and dosage should not cross 15 milligrams per kilogram of body weight per dose (could be between 10-15 mg/kg/dose).

The current weight is 2.9 kg so the dose of paracetamol would be 2.9X12.5 (taking the middle value of recommended dosage) =36 mg.

Depending on the strength and formulation, the exact quantity of the medicine will vary, so kindly calculate accordingly and give, but please do remember to consult her pediatrician/neonatologist regarding the fever, because fever in new born babies is worrisome and is an indication that she has a serious infection and needs proper care and antibiotics promptly..

For your information, your baby was born at 30 weeks, and usually they should be born after 37 weeks, hence the corrected gestational age of your baby will 37 weeks as of now, and her adjusted age will be 1 day. For all practical purposes, your baby is just born, hence should be treated as such.

Hope this answers your query, please do feel free to write back to me if you have additional concerns.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D