Can Norethisteron be taken in pregnancy?

Question
Hello, I had a still birth at 38 weeks six months ago. Last month i missed my period. I took three home tests which all came out negative. My gyn has presribed Noethsterne. I am afraid to take it in case I am pregnant but my hcg levels are too low to be detected. Should i tae this medicine? XXXXXXX

sorry i mis-spelled thenameof the medicine- its Norethisterone.
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

If your HCG levels are too low then you are not pregnant.

But to confirm i will advise you to get a blood beta hcg test. That is confirmatory.

You can take the medicine once that comes negative.

If you want to confirm even more then get a transvaginal sonography.

Dr. Som MD

Follow-up: Can Norethisteron be taken in pregnancy? 9 minutes later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX for your response. I asked my gyn yesterday for a blood test and he declined based on the negative urine tests. Some research also shows that negative urine results could be a sign of an ectopic pregancy. However i have no bleeding at all. Would these recomended tests also detect an ectopic pregnancy? Sorry for being paranoid, but going by my history, its better to be safe than sorry.

Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get a sonography

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Then the best option is to get a transvaginal sonography.

It is going to tell whether ectopic pregnancy is present or not.

Dr. Som MD