Can Metoprolol cause mood swings, depression and difficulty making decision?

Question
I recently changed from Atenolol 100mg taken daily to Metoprolol Succ Er 100mg daily. I am experiencing difficulty making decisions, mood swings and depression. By depression I mean I am not finding XXXXXXX in the usual things I enjoy doing, such as hobbies. Christmas is a favorite holiday, I am not getting excited about Christmas and am having difficulty finishing making holiday gifts. My finances, living arrangement or family relationships have not changed. I am retired and have no work related stress. I was excited about selling my home and have selected a new home weeks ago. Now I am feeling very negative about this move although nothing has changed except for the change in my high blood pressure medication.
Tue, 15 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Metoprolol succinate is documented to cause depression

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns

Please note that Metoprolol is documented to cause psychological side effects, where the most common psychological side effect occurring in 1% to 10% of patients using it is depression.

Insomnia and nightmare were reported to occur in 0.1 to 1% of patients using it, while Nervousness, anxiety, Confusion, hallucination, personality disorder, disturbances of libido rarely occur in less than 0.1% of patients using it.

Please discuss these with your doctor.

I hope you find this helpful...