Can HIV be contracted through oral sex?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
To be amswerd by DR XXXXXXX JANGID ONLY.

Dear dr, i am a male i had a sexual encounter with another male . He did hiv combo test one day before the encounter and sent me reports and was non reactive . However im now worried that what if he was in the window period. My sexual encounter invilved oral sex (with condoms) . He said that he thiught the condom mught have torn while i sucked him and thats y we stopped. He also tried to have anal sex with condom. He tried to penetrate my anus woth condom for about 15 seconds but he coukdmt penetrate properly and we stopped . I felt some pain m pressure at that time but he said he didnt penetrate properly. Itvwas just 15 seconds but with condom. After 15 days of jncident i now have itchy yhroat. Im worried a lot. Please help.
Fri, 4 May 2018 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
No risk of HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

The risk of getting HIV from oral sex is very less because human saliva is not the fluid which transmits HIV virus and it also contains an enzyme which inhibits the growth of the virus. The anal sex was condom protected and there was no insertion so don't get scared or worried as the risk is very unlikely or you can say practically zero.

Itchy throat might be due to seasonal changes or some other throat infection but not related to the HIV infection so no need to think much upon it. Be relaxed, forget about the episode and move on. As your friend I will also advice you to stay away from unsafe sexual practices to prevent the future risk of HIV or any other STDs.

Thank You

Follow-up: Can HIV be contracted through oral sex? 3 hours later
Dear dr i think condom tore while i was sucking his penis... my oartner said he thought it miht have got a hole but not sire... thats y im worried. During anal sex he wore condom and tried inserting penis in my anus but he didnt oemetrate full as i wqsnt comfortable and we stopped in 10 sexonds only ...is there any risk from this .. also before abal sex he fingered me and licked my anus. Plz help

Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fingering and licking are no risk activities.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

The risk with unprotected oral sex is also very less as I had mentioned earlier that human saliva can not transmit HIV virus. Fingering as well as licking are no risk activities and there was no penetration done during anal sex and it was protected also so you need not to worry at all about HIV. You are absolutely safe and risk free. If still any doubt is there feel free to ask me again.

Thank You

Follow-up: Can HIV be contracted through oral sex? 11 minutes later
Hi dr u said saliva is not infectious but i was sucking his penis . What if his precum came in my mouth or gums ?
Also there was some pentration during anal sex for 10 second as he tried to penetrate but not fully. I was uncomfortable so we stopped after 10 seconds. He wore a condom but what if a condom tears . I dint see anything but am worried.
He got tested one day before encounter with combo test and sent me reports he was non reactive.

Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
If the condom got torn then you can be at risk.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back once again.

I didn't say that saliva is not infectious rather I told human saliva does not transmit HIV virus and it also contains an inhibitory enzyme to prevent the growth of HIV virus. If the condom got torn during anal sex then it might be risky but your partner is negative with combo test one day prior then the probability is very less that you will get infected. Don't think too much as per my opinion the risk is unlikely. Be relaxed and live your life normally.

Thank You

Follow-up: Can HIV be contracted through oral sex? 34 minutes later
Dear dr thanks for your reply . Request ur answers to the following

1. My partner performed anal sex on me only for 10 seconds and penetrtion wasnt full . He wore a condom and he says that it did not tear.

2. During oral sex if condom tore and his precum came in my gums or mouth then is there risk ?

3 its been 16 days from exposure . I have itchy throat amd i get low fever upto 98.8 . It comes and goes. Is this because of HiV acute infection ?

4. Medically do i need to test . Which test can i do after 16 days ? What is accuracy of combo test at 16 days ? Plz help im very worried

Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
The symptoms are not due to ARS.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Itchy throat and low grade fever are not related to ARS and the risk with oral sex is very less or nearly zero. The accuracy of combo test after 2 weeks of exposure is around 90% so you can definitely go for it and the result will surely come in your favor. Be relaxed, don't think much and move on in life.

Thank You