Can Ambien be taken for seizures?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi im 20 years old male i weigh 260 lbs i take lamictal & topimax for my seizures because i have epliepsey/seizure disorder from a car accident ive gotten into that left me with some type of head truama. I am also on paxil for depression, 2MG XR Xanax for anxiety. I cannot sleep DR. I just cant, i am up to 8 in the morning almost everynight/day.. I have ambien & lunesta left over that i was previously prescribed on different medication.. Is it safe to still take my ambien or lunesta still until i see my psychiatrist or will i have a bad reaction such as a seizure or something?? I NEED TO SLEEP! Please help. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can use Ambien for a short time.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thanks for being on HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

You can use Ambien 10 mg at night, ONLY for few days, until you discuss with your Doctor, and you should be aware not to use any alcohol that may cause adverse effects when used together with Ambien and other drugs you use.

You should be careful also in stopping Ambien, cold turkey can cause seizures besides other adverse effects, s,it needs to be tapered.

You can discuss with your primary care Doctor also about these issues, until you meet your Psychiatrist.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T