CT scan showing lobulated mucosal hypertrophy within the maxillary sinuses. How serious is it?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,
This is what a CT scan reveled. - There is lobulated mucosal hypertrophy seen within the maxilaary sinuses, ethmoidal labyrinth, sphenoid sinus and inferior aspect of the forntal sinuses, resulting in occlusion of the left ostiomeatal unit, left sphenoethmodial reces and both frontoethmoidal reciess. There is bubbly secretions within the posterior right ethmoidal air cell, in keeping with acute sinusitis, No fungal superinfection or destructive soft tissue mass.

Incidental note of a small right supraorbital accesory air cell, with the right ethmoid artery lying within its own bony mesentry just below the skull base, if surgery is considered it can be a potential surgical hazard. In addition , there is also pnuematisation of the anterior clinoid proceses bilaterally, without dehiscene of the optic canals.

Now, can you please explain me how bad is this, can this be cured? also its indicated that surgery can be XXXXXXX Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. After going through the scan images, I would agree with the following:
a. Mucosal thickening in both Maxillary Sinuses, more on the Right.
b. Mild Ethmoid Sinusitis on both sides.
c. Minimal mucosal thickening in the inferior aspect of both Frontal Sinuses.
d. Deviated Nasal Septum to left and a posterior bony spur on Left side.
e. Inferior Turbinate Hypertrophy (ITH) on both sides.
f. Slightly paradoxical Middle turbinates on both sides.

2. Both Sphenoid Sinuses seem to be clear. The images are slightly out of focus.

3. These findings are consistent with mild Sinusitis. The other findings are also common and routine endoscopic surgery should not be XXXXXXX Surgery will depend upon what symptoms you are experiencing.

4. With such minimal sinus disease, the treatment should be medical. If the medication fails, Balloon Sinuplasty is a new minimally invasive procedure as against traditional FESS (Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery).

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.