Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Bite on right ankle. Noticed no pain, pus or marks. Why is it growing and skin peeling off?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10359 Questions
I was in my patio where I have a lot junk the night before I noticed a 'bite' on my right ankle. It's been two weeks now and I haven't noticed or seen pain, puss, bite marks, or center. The only thing I've noticed has been that--it's gotten a little larger than a nickle, and the skin keeps peeling off. I has started to be a little sensitive but I think this is due to the peeling and thining skin. Any ideas?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
A two week old bite XXXXXXX on the ankle without any pain or discharge is not likely to be infected.
The peeling off of the skin in the area may be due to dead skin- due to decreased blood supply in the area. It would be helpful if you could send me a picture of the affected area by uploading the image in the box provided on the right side of the query box.
You need to keep the area clean and exposed to air. Apply a local antiseptic ointment like neosporin ointment to prevent infection.
Awaiting your response.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Bite on right ankle. Noticed no pain, pus or marks. Why is it growing and skin peeling off? 12 hours later
Thank you for your response. I have uploaded a current picture from this morning.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
I have seen the picture attached.
It seems to be an allergic reaction due to insect bite with superficial dermatitis. Application of 1% cortisone ointment will be helpful. If there is a persistent pain, then systemic antibiotics may be needed to control the infection.
You need to self monitor the area for any increase in size, pus like discharge, pain or fever in which case you need to consult your physician for proper treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor