Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Biopsy for sarcoidosis is negative. Having extreme windedness when bending over, blurred vision and acute arthritis. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I recently had a biopsy (lymph node taken from the left arm pit). Sarcoidosis was one of the posited diagnosis. The biopsy came back negative for Sarcoidosis; however, I continue to have the following worsening symptoms: intermittent but frequent windedness with any exertion; extreme windedness when bending over; rapidly worsening blurred vision; lethargy; weaknesses; acute arthritis manifested in the knees (at times swollen to the point that they looked physically deformed); intermittent swollen etremities that have been attributed to poorly functioning kidneys and bladder. Is it possible that the biopsy coud have yielded a false negative re scars??
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I have through your query in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
No, it is very very unlikely that biopsy might have yielded a false negative result.
The other possible causes for your symptoms could be
1. Hypothyroidism: it explains most of your symptoms and it can be confirmed easily by doing a TSH test. If low the same can be corrected by thyroid supplementation.
2. Chronic renal failure. As you have stated that you have kidney issues your serum creatinine should be evaluated. It can also lead to anaemia and the symptoms that you you have stated.
3. Tuberculosis: It also explains most of your symptoms and you should investigated by a tuberculin skin test.
Hope that helps
Wish you good health.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor