Ayurvedic treatment for retroperitoneal fibrosis

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Ayurveda
Question: Please, I do like to know, what`s the best ayurvedic treatment for retroperitoneal fibrosis? And if, i can do virechana and basti panchakarma? If yes, how many days? thankyou
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Retroperitoneal fibrosis is an immune based disorder which causes blockage of ureters due to fibrosis. There is reduced urine output causing accumulation of toxins in the blood.

Though I do not follow that stream of medicine, I would like to put my points here.
In Ayurveda, there are a few treatments that have been described but their efficacy is still not known. You can try some after consulting an Ayurvedacharya.

Virechana and Basti panchkarma both are used for detoxification of intestines. It usually removes toxins accumulated in liver or gall bladder. These do not provide much help in removing the urea and other metabolites accumulated in blood as a result of renal disease.

I would advise you to take systemic steroids and immunomodulators in consultation with your physician along with these therapies for relief.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.