What causes acute glomerulo nephritis in a child?

she was diagnosed w/ group A beta hemolytic streptococcal infection that led to the development of acute glomerulo nephritis How did this progress from throat infection to renaldisease I have an 11 year old girl who is in end-stage renal disease. I am very confused and frightened. My husband asks the staff how this could have happened his little girl. The events leading to this situation began, and desires to learn more about how his daughter has diminished to the point of needing a kidney transplant. We we ask them how this all began, we were informed our daughter had a group A beta hemolytic streptococcal infection that led to the development of acute glomerulo-nephritis. We just would like for someone to explain/describe to us the progression from a simple throat infection to renal disease?
Thu, 16 Nov 2017
Pediatrician, Gastroenterology 's  Response
I have seen your query and understand your concerns.
The infection in throat stimulated production of antibodies against group A beta hemolytic streptocci. But unfortunately the antibodies cross reacted with the glomeruli of kidney. Glomruli are the basic units of kidneys. Damage to them resulted in renal failure.
The incidence of renal failure is only 2 %. 95 % of children usually recover from the disease.
Hope your concerns have been answered.
I pray for your child's health.