Are excess sweating, watery eyes, headache, muscle weakness and hot flashes premenopausal signs?

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hello,
I am 46 years old.
One pregnancy, one child.
Since July 2015 I have night sweating, day sweating, body temperature changes during day, I fill heat in heat, wet eyes, headache, hot hands. I also feel cold after feeling heat, mussels are wick sometimes and painful sometimes I read that flashes last up to 3 minutes, but I feel heat longer than that. Is till have periods, however, they come every 25 days, used to be every 28 days. I checked my hormones, progesterone level is low, 2.6
Does all this symptoms means that I have premenopause?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No worries, premenopause most likely in this situation

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do understand this can be very disturbing at some point. However, these symptoms are very much compatible with premenopausal symptoms. I agree with you that what you are experiencing should be pre menopause.

However, we still need to be watchful. In case you really document high fevers with high temperatures and any alteration in your general physical health, it might be appropriate to consult your doctor to check for other diseases that could mimic menopausal symptoms.

At this stage however, I am strongly convinced what you are experiencing are premenopausal signs and no real need to worry. There are medications that could be used in case symptoms are so severe however. Some hormones could be prescribed in persons that experience very severe premenopausal signs and symptoms.

No worries for now as wish you the best of health. Kind regards .

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 47 minutes later
Doctor,
Thank you for your reply.
I do not have fever like 38C. It changes from 36.1 to 36.7
I did blood work (Sep), X ray(July), abdomen and breast ultrasound ( end of March), pap test ( March)
My worry is that my flashes are not short.
Is progesterone level signs of pre menopause?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
These are all symptoms of pre menopause.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the follow up question,

It is reassuring since the temperature changes are within normal limits. This further strengthens the hypothesis that this is premenopause. Progesterone levels do decrease as one approaches menopause. It is a sign of premenopause too.

This explains why hormone supplementation can be used in some persons with intense pre menopausal symptoms.

I think this should be simply pre menopause.

Thanks and kind regards and best of health.

Dr Bain