Are chills, fever and body pains symptoms of mumps?

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 15 May 2014 in Infections
Question: Two days ago, I had a very sudden onset of extreme chills and then a fever that spiked up 4 degrees in about 2 hours. (102) I also had a lot of face pain -- under the cheekbone, around the eyes, and ear pressure. Very uncomfortable. Used ice packs to relieve. No runny nose or cough, though. I also had aches and felt very weak, like the flu. On the second day, the face pain was gone, but I still had a mild fever, and still weak and generally uncomfortable. Third day is today -- so far, no fever, very tired, still have some aches, sensitive skin to the touch. Just wondering. . . .could this be mumps? Do you always have swelling with the mumps? I don't think I had swelling -- just the uncomfortable face pain. Mumps has been going around in this area (Ohio State Univ. - only 20 minutes away). I am 56 and was never immunized. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not likely to be mumps!

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Although i have not examined you and there is no definite way to rule out mumps, but based on your symptoms , you are unlikely to be having mumps.

Your symptoms are characteristic of a viral infection and you will recover in 6-7 days , just take rest and maintain a good and healthy diet.

However i am bit afraid of your pain on cheeks and you may be having a sinus infection , this needs to be evaluated by a ear nose throat doctor and i would like you to meet one as soon as possible. please dont delay or ignore this complaint.

For the meantime i would like you to start steam inhalation 3-4 times a day and take vitamin c supplements, it will help in early recovery.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 15 minutes later
I doubt that it's a sinus infection. I have no more pain in the cheeks. It was just one day and very uncomfortable.
Also, I just recently finished antibiotics (on April 17). The doctor prescribed them for sore throat, ear pressure, and eustachian tube irritation that I was having, although he thought it was allergies (but I don't generally have allergies). After taking the antibiotics, the symptoms went away, and then a week and a half later, I got this.
I suppose then this is just either the flu, or some other infection. It knocked me down just like the flu does.
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
i would still like you to meet your ent doctor!

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Your previous symptoms also suggest a sinus infection including sore throat and eustachian tube irritation , and your sinus can be a focus of infection.

Pain is a late symptom of sinus infection and indicates that the infection is severe, therefore we should not wait for the pain to appear.

I am just suggesting that you MAY be having a sinus infection and it would be wise to get yourself examined by a ent doctor.