Are abdominal pain, low grade fever and diarrhea symptoms of appendicitis?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 3 Aug 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My husband has pain that started in his scrotum, then spread to his right abdomin. He has a low grade fever, and for the last couple of weeks, has had diarreah or constipation. We think this May be appendicitis. What do you think? Should we go to the emergency room?
Now, my husband says his stomach is bloated.
He says his pain is a six out of ten, but not a sharp pain.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggested emergency room visit due to the nature of his symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. With a history of lymphoma and having received radiation and chemotherapy, it will be essential to do preliminary imaging to know if he has any bowel condition arising from previous treatment for cancer.

2. Since his symptoms have been going on for over a week, therefore it will be important to know if he has developed any bowel infection or suspected obstruction. Appendicitis is also a probable cause and will not be confirmed unless evaluated by imaging techniques like ultrasound scan or CT scan abdomen.

3. A suspected low grade obstruction might evolve over weeks and the symptoms might progress with pain in lower abdomen and bloating in stomach. Therefore his symptoms cannot be ignored and he should go to the emergency.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek