Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Aortic valve replaced with mechanical valve. Is smoking marijuana harmful ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5136 Questions
I recently had an open heart surgery, specifically I had my aortic valve replaced with a St. Judes mechanical valve and also had an ascending aortic anyeursym which the used a mesh to repair. Now my question for you is is it a bad idea to resume smoking marijuana at anytime? I am 26 weigh about 275 and am 6"1
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 46 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

Since you have already undergone surgery for aortic aneurysm you need to be extra careful for your health.

Marijuana is known to cause similar side effects like cocaine like nausea, vomiting, high blood pressure, chance of heart attacks, strokes, reduces semen and sperm count etc. The high blood pressure can damage the aorta repair site as well.

If you are dependent or addicted to Marijuana it is best you get enrolled in a de-addiction program to prevent using this drug again as it can be very XXXXXXX and even life threatening more so in your case. Kindly do take it very seriously.

You need to follow proper dietary advice especially after surgery. Eat healthy. Avoid junk food. Drink enough water. Exercise daily within capacity and advice from your Surgeon. You need to lose weight as your Body Mass Index is 36.3 (more than 30 is obesity). Obesity can increase cardiac output and blood pressure as well. Start by diet modification. Avoid fatty, oily food. Eat protein XXXXXXX food like cereals, pulses, fruits, vegetables, chicken, lean meat with adjustment for your height and weight. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. Do Yoga daily for effective stress relief.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiac Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor