What do these MRI reports indicate?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi Dr. XXXXXXX
I've got a question for you regarding a bright area on an MRI. I'm curious if this is a blood vessel or an artifact. One radiologist said it was an artifact (a pulsation artifact) but I'm curious as to your opinion. You can also see the entire series here:
https://app.box.com/s/1un1039z02a1nt52rs3qyrdwmrqglexp

I have added a few more images of those that follow this one. I am curious if the circled area is a blood vessel that "move" when the picture changes.

The original report said this MRI was normal except for a hemangioma (atypical) at T5 and a typical hemangioma at L2.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no abnormal bleeding

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I recall your MRI images which I have seen in detail earlier and there was a hemangioma in T5 vertebra which remained the same since the last few years.

Coming to the images
In image 1 area in the circle, it is unlikely to be blood. It can be a tiny area of fat in the vertebra and this is a common finding.

In image 3 the area is the circle causing mild haziness is the pulsation artefact. MRI images take time to be acquired so the pulsation of the aorta is causing artefacts and there is haziness behind it.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 15 minutes later
So does this study look normal to you? In the image entitled LUNGMRI3, the circled area is the fat? Is it okay for it to look like it's outside the vertebrae like it does or is that the artifact?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The tiny white area inside the circle is not a concern

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

In the image mentioned by you, the small white dot in the circle is likely a focus of catty degeneration and is inside the vertebra margin. This is not a concern.

It is well defined and really a tiny area. This circle is well inside the vertebra in the given image, please correct me if Im looking at the wrong picture since you have written..... Is it okay for it to look like it's outside the vertebrae like it does or is that the artifact?.....

Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 17 minutes later
I think we’re talking about the same area. It fit some reason looks more on top of the vertebrae but I don’t know how to read these. If you use the app box link, you can probably see it better - it’s image 53 in series 10.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can you please send DICOM images in sagittal and axial planes

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

Yes, Im referring to Image 53 Series 10. In a single imaging plane it is difficult to exactly confirm the true location of the area but the concerned area is close to the surface. If you can upload the entire set of DICOM images in sagittal and axial planes then I can use my workstation and confirm the exact location and share the
correct information with you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 13 minutes later
They should all be uploaded in that app box link.

If you can’t see them I can upload in the am.
Brief Answer:
Sagittal images not avaliable

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

The sagittal images are unavailable at the app box link. May I request you to please upload again.

Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
My apologies - I see that I sent you the wrong link and only included axial post contrast images. Here is the whole study - https://app.box.com/s/x2meh1pv1egy14x4vd7cowep3aon0982
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
It looks like a harmless finding

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

The images are in jpg format and cannot be viewed on the radiology workstation. After viewing the images on a desktop screen it looks like the small white area is a mild focal degenerative change in the verterbal end plate. This is a common finding and not significant. It will not have any serious effect on your health.

Thank you for your reply. I assume that's okay for it to enhance with contrast?
Brief Answer:
It is not alarming on contrast

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

The lesion is too small and it does not show any alarming characteristics on MRI. Even if there is slight enhancement, it is not a serious concern.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad