What does this lab report indicate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: My wife's scan of her heart shows a dilated aorta the right side is normal at 2CM but the left is distended to 4.3CM Currently the earliest we can get an appointment is XXXXXXX 10th. We have been told not to sit on this by our primary. Is this a safe time frame between now and the appointment?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that an aortic diameter of 4.3 cm is considered a mild dilation of ascending aorta (aortic aneurysm).

This finding is not a medical emergency and the time span until your appointment doesn't pose and increased risk to your wife's health.

In similar situations, the rational medical strategy seems to be periodical monitoring of the aorta size by means of imaging tests (CT, angio CT scan, MRI or trans-esophageal echography) in order to investigate any possible dynamic changes of the aorta size and meanwhile, properly controlling blood pressure values, in order to prevent as much as possible further dilation of the aorta.

It is also necessary to locate properly the location and extension of the aortic dilation (whether it is extended in the aortic arch, thoracic descending aorta or to the abdominal region).

I would like to directly review your aorta CT scan report for a more professional opinion.

Could you please upload it on this question?

I remain at your disposal for any further questions, whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri