Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Abdominal pain, back pain, irregular bleeding, weight gain, had smear test

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
Over the last 6 months I have been experiencing some worrying symptoms. I have constant lower abdo pain and back pain this never leaves me, I can only describe it as mild period pain then when I do get a period they are much heavier and more painfull than they used to be, I have also starting have irregular bleeding. When I try and excercise I get a severe sharp pain in my abdo and I have to stop. Over the past 6 months I have put on lots of weight but only on my stomach it now looks very bloated, I am usually very slim. I have regular smear tests every year so I don't think it's that. Please could you please give me your thoughts.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

Based on your description, I can think of a few possibilities:

1. Fibroids, adenomyosis, endometriosis are some of the commonest possibilities amongst your age group women.
2. Uterine polyps
3. Thyroid hormone dysfunctions.

A pelvic examination is very much helpful and needed here. You would also need to get an ultrasound of the pelvis also.

These test will help clear up some things. Hence I encourage you to consult your gynecologist and get the test done.

Hope my answers are adequate and helpful. If there are any more queries, I am available to address them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Abdominal pain, back pain, irregular bleeding, weight gain, had smear test 15 hours later
Thank you, can I just ask do you know if there is another way of getting an appointment with a gyno as I don't feel like I can go to my doctor, she always makes me feel like I am wasting her time and always tells me that its just a urine infection
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

Well, I believe that in UK, a referral is the fastest way to get an appointment with a specialist.You can of course make a direct appointment sometimes, but its usually a long wait.

You could get a second opinion from a different doctor. Maybe another doctor may feel differently and give you a specialist referral.

Hope this helps.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor