Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Abdominal pain after eating fatty and spicy foods, indigestion, gastric problems, stools have foul smell, tests normal

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
when i eat fatty and spicy foods, i get abdominal pain which stays for hours. This pain usually happens during night. I also suffer from indigestion and gastric problems regularly. The stools float during the pain and has foul smell. I got my liver and kidney checked with Ultra sonic scan. All the tests were normal. I m suffering from this pain since 8 years, consulted many doctors and got tested. They suggested nothing but not to eat these sort of foods. Healthy and non greased foods doesnt trouble me.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

From your history, the symptoms appear to be due to malabsorption.

I would suggest the following:
1. Regular time for meals
2. Avoid fat XXXXXXX foods
3. Avoid refined carbohydrates or reduce it to below minimum
4. Stop eating spicy foods for the time being. Resort to amore bland type of meal.
5. Drink plenty of water
6. Increase the intake of probiotics like yogurt which will aid in digestion.
7. Mild coating agents like sucralfate for a period of 3 weeks
8. Start enzyme preparations which will aid in digestion but for not more that 6 weeks.

If with these measure do not get relieve your symptoms over the next 6-8 weeks then you should consider endoscopy.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

With Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor