Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

32 years old with hypertension. Prescribed with Amlong. Should I take the medication or can I control my BP through diet and exercise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
Hello doctor, My age is 32 years and I am diagnosed with hypertension. My baseline BP at the clinic is 140/90 to 150/100, but when I check with a home BP cuff it fluctuates between 110 to 130s systolic and 70 to 80s diastolic. Not sure if my BP cuff is showing correct readings. My doctor prescribed me Amlong 2.5 mg to be taken once a day. Should I continue this drug for life or is it possible to bring it back under control by exercise and diet. I was basically sedentary for more than 6 months to 1 year. I had my lipid profile checked and the reading are as follows: Total cholesterol 190, triglycerides 176, HDL 46, LDL 107, VLDL 35. My height is 5 feet 4 inches and I weigh 55 kg. What is your advice. Thank you
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I am cardiologist and read your question with diligence.

Your BP apparatus is also giving correct reading but apparently some of the readings while with Doctor are high. You can take your apparatus to doctor's clinic and compare. None the less, more readings can be taken and personally I think you have benign essential hypertension. Let the doctor take over from there. He will assess hypertension as a part of risk profile as listed below.

At any age, following is the list of risk factors for future development of Coronary Artery Disease. Let me enumerate and you can place yourself the risk you are carrying ('*' means you have the risk factor, '+/-' means I do not know, - means you do not have that risk factors and about others you know better):-

Diabetes +/-
Obesity and Sedentary Life Style-
High Bad Cholesterol and Lipid Component +
Total Cholesterol above 190 mg%, LDL above 130 mg%, VLDL above 40 mg%,
Triglycerides above 150 mg%, Apolipoprotein B above reference value
Low Good Cholesterol and Lipid Component: -
Apolipoprotein a below reference range for the lab and
HDL below 40 mg% for man & and 50 mg% for woman
Family History 0f Coronary Heart Disease +/-
Increasing age*
Being a Man (as opposed to women) till the age 45*

From the list, above you have some risk factors. Stress, hypertension and increased bad cholesterol. About others we do not know about most of them. It need not be cardiologist but your primary doctor can guide your way back to health -you are interested- I am happy to read that. You may need drugs and he/she (or ask the dietitian) to advise you about diet low in calories and cholesterol, advise you on quantum of exercise. You ought to keep your weight under control as it is now for you do not want heart attack. If you like non vegetarian you cannot take red meat but there is no bar (in taking certainly quantity had to be less) on egg white, roasted chicken and roasted fish.

“For the time being the way you have described the pain it does not look cardiac, yet it is precursor of worse things. Sooner you take advice from professional better quality of life you are going to have.”

Hope you found something useful in this answer. If you have any follow-up query I shall be happy to answer.

Dr Anil Grover
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor