3 years old having headache, fever, runny nose and teeth pain. What medicine should be given?

Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: My daughter is 3 and she has a habit of sucking on her 2 middle fingers. She is an overall healthy child. Over the last few days she has been crying and complaining of a headache, fever around 101, runny nose, pain in her teeth in the lower jaw on the left and front sides of the mouth sometimes to the point to where she cant even eat rice. I have given her Tylenol and Motrin but nothing seems to last very long for her pain. ive been giving her some homeopathic meds for children for her runny nose.
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 3 hours later

I went through your query in detail. It would have been better if you had specified the exact duration of her symptoms. Her symptoms (especially if they are beyond 3-4 days) warrant clinical examination to rule out localised (any kind of tooth decay) / pyogenic infections - these will require clinical tests and antibiotics for complete treatment.

In the interim, the child will require paracetamol at a dose of 10 to 25 mg /kg/dose given at intermittently every 4-6 hours. Motrin/Ibuprofen syrup at the dose of 10mg/kg body weight can be continued twice a day for addition benefits. Besides that, warm water sponge baths are essential to reduce fever instantly and to prevent febrile convulsions. Keep her well hydrated and give her semisolid feeds, so that she can swallow without chewing and avoid the pain.

In all, though the aforementioned options are available to try at home, I suggest a visit to her pediatrician / dentist as she seems to be in acute pain. For best results, I recommend a consult to your doctor's office at the earliest. I believe she will need antibiotic with the above regimen.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad