Hearing loss due to infection. Is piercing eardrum an appropriate solution?

In April of this year I had a bad cold and then boarded a flight from Australia to Italy. It resulted in an ear infection in both ears. During this infection I was tested by an ENT specialist and had 90% hearling loss for 1 week. This cleared to 20% just before flying home again a week later. Since that time I have not regained my hearing fully, although much better than 20%. This has still not cleared my ears. When I lean forward, I get a blocked sensation in both ears and when there is a lot of background noise I have difficulty hearing. I ve been back to a general doctor and she prescribed a heavy dose of anti inflammatory drugs after examining my ears. She noted at the time that there was still inflamation in one of the ears. I finished the medicine but I still have the same issues. The doctor had indicated that if the drugs do not solve this, I need to visit an ENT specialist and s/he will pierce my eardrum . Is this the appropriate solution? If so, can I fly immediately following this as my job demands it. Are there are any long term risks of piercing eardrums?
Asked On : Tue, 7 Aug 2012