Persistent pain even after spine fusion, swelling, MRI, X-Ray normal. Should the hardware be removed?

I has a spine fusion at L5/S1 just over 6 months ago an I am still having pain. It is worse than before surgery. I go to physical therapy 2 times a week to stretch my muscles and strengthen my Core and every 2 weeks I get non steroid anti inflammatory Injections at the surgery site. I am currently in South Korea and having some difficulty understanding the doctors reasoning. Today my doctor told me that most people only have the injections 5 times but mine only last one and a half weeks and then I am in major pain and constipated if I do not get my next one. He says the swelling and pain are at the implantation site but all of the MRIs and X-rays say I am healed. Could I be having problems with the hardware? My muscles are getting better, my strength is improving but no matter what we do the swelling comes back. Should I look into getting the hardware removed? Would that recovery be as painful and as long as the addition of the hardware? Any help would be appreciated. Andrea Long
Asked On : Fri, 26 Oct 2012