Pap smear, mammogram and trans-vaginal ultrasound normal. Have kidney stone, elevated ca125

Hello. In July 2012 I had Pap smear and mammogram which both came back normal. I had a ca125 done at my request and it came back 38 so I had to have a transvaginal ultrasound which all came back normal. I had a recheck on the ca125 last week and it was now elevated to 48. Doctor sending me to specialist. Since December that I know of I have been dealing with a 3x6mm kidney stone which I am having broke up this month. Could the kidney stone be causing an elevated ca125 when everything else looks ok?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

At this time there is no recommendation for using the Ca125 level as a screening test. I understand your interest in having this level checked but again there really is no clear indication for doing this in the options of any symptoms or in the absence of a previous history of ovarian cancer. In some cases we might consider checking this in a patient who is at extremely high risk.

This level can fluctuate from time to time so I am really not impressed that the second check is anything to worry about. This is especially important to consider based on the fact that you had a normal ultrasound. There are many different things which can cause an elevation of this level usually related to inflammation within the abdomen. It is conceivable that even a kidney stone could possibly contribute to this. I don't think this is really been studied in any large clinical trials so there is no way to tell if this is actually the case for you.

I really don't think you have any significant concern regarding the CA125 At this time. If you would like it would be reasonable for your doctor to check this again in the future. If the level continues to be within a similar range or lower then I think it would be reasonable to stop checking this within the next year.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns that you would like to discuss.

Dr. Galamaga