Done with PET scan and was clean of any recurring cancer. Any risk in having a PET scan in four weeks time?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
IS THERE ANY HEALTH RISK IN HAVING A SECOND PET SCAN IN 4 WEEKS TIME? THE FIRST SCAN WAS CLEAN OF ANY RECURRING CANCER.
YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat PET should be done after 12 weeks.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I routinely advise PET for patients with brain metastases. There should be a gap of at least 12 weeks between two PET scans, to minimize the risk associated with exposure to radiation.

So, I would advise you to delay the repeat PET by at least eight more weeks, unless the information to be obtained from repeat PET is very crucial.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Done with PET scan and was clean of any recurring cancer. Any risk in having a PET scan in four weeks time? 15 minutes later
MY CA125 WAS 8 IN APRIL OF 2013 AND IN JULY WENT TO 24. I RETOOK IT ON AUGUST 27 AND IT WAS 133. WHAT ARE THE RAMIFICATIONS OF THESE NUMBERS GOING UP? SHOULD I PANIC?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rise in CA 125 alone is not of any concern.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.
Elevation of CA 125 without any new clinical symptoms is not of much concern. Normally, we do CA 125 if the patient develops new symptoms. The decision to start chemotherapy is more based on the disease activity, and not on CA 125 alone.
So, as of now, please watch for any new symptoms related to the disease.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM