refusing to clean teeth

my baby is one year old now.she is refusing to clean her teeth..how can i do that
Mon, 5 Aug 2013
Medical Topics ,   ,  
's  Response
Thanks for ur reply doctor.But still I am having a doubt that how should i do like shall I use brush and paste for that.She dont know how to spit.So I cant na.Shall I use my finger with water..Is it good?...Now her teeth is little bit yellow.She is only 0ne year and having lots of teeth.Please reply.
Teena's  Response
Thankyou so much for your reply.
General & Family Physician Dr. P. Mahesh's  Response
Hi Teena,

welcome to HCM.

First of all make sure she does not have painful gums (Gingivitis). In one year old, brushing the teeth is not all that important. If you feel it is necessary, use small amount of paste on your finger tip and rub it on her teeth and rinse it with water. Even if she swallows a little bit of paste do not panic.

Kids learn to spit out water from mouth by watching elders doing it. They love to mimic their elders.

Have a good time bringing up your daughter.

Wish you and your daughter all the best.
Dentist, Endodontics Dr. Kriti Maroli's  Response
If your daughter is one year, she probably has a few milk teeth in her mouth by now, and it is time for use of a pediatric toothbrush. At one year you cannot expect the child to like brushing and you should mostly do it yourself... Compliment the child once you are done with the brushing. Iam sure she will understand that... Once the child grows older, you can shift to themed colorful brushes so that she likes them.. As far as the toothpaste is concerned you can use a pediatric toothpaste that does not contain flouride...A lot of companies manufacture them and mention the age group meant for the use.

a baby of one year age will be having approximately 4 to 6 teeth in her anterior portion of the jaws. these are primary incisor teeth. it is very normal for baby of such an age to refuse dental cleansing. the best way to cleanse their teeth are
1. TELL-SHOW-DO technique. that is first you tell the baby about tooth brush and paste- Do it Yourself on your teeth and show it to her and then try to repeat the things with baby.
2. there are miniture brushes head mounted on a finger sleeve which can be worn by mother and can be used by mother to cleanse her baby's teeth
3. Still if baby doesn't give way, you can soak a clean cloth or cotton in a warm saline water and rub it against the teeth and gingiva of the baby

At last still it is really difficult sometimes for some baby to teach them brushing. be patient, it generally happens and can take another 6 to 12 months
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

As your baby is of one year old now,she may have 4-6 teeth in her oral cavity.

Usually child refuses to clean teeth at this age.

I would suggest you to clean your baby's teeth with moistened cotton after every feed.

If there is food accumulation in b/w teeth,pediatric toothbrushes can be used to remove them.

Dentist Dr. Yogesh Tripathi's  Response
hello
one year child is too small to understand the importance of oral hygiene
so what i would suggest is that after every fead you take some luke warm saline water in a tumbler , dip a fresh cotton pellet in it , sqeeze it and than move the pellet across your babys tooth
if she refuses to do that while awake than do this when the child is sleeping
hope this helps

4 users find this helpful

Pediatrician Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty's  Response

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Encourage her to do it. Show it as a example. Do not force her. Compliment her for cleaning. Clap her each time she does that. Use a flouride free tooth paste. Just put more water in the mouth with face facing towards the floor. It will naturally get rinsed.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
M.D.(Pediatrics)
Associate Professor of Pediatrics

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

You cannot expect a one year old child to clean her teeth by herself, you have to clean the teeth for her.
One year old child will have few teeth in her mouth, You can take a piece of clean handkerchief and clean the teeth after every meal.
Show her how to gargle, children usually emitates their parents.
When she grows up you can use pediatric toothbrushes which are colourful and tooth paste.

Hope this helps out,

Regards..
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
A couple of ideas- have you tried letting her choose her own toothbrush? Take her to the shops and maybe get her to chose New one for everyone?
Let her watch you brush your teeth.
Sing a song related to brushing.
Make it fun by having the whole family do it at once.
Toothbrush should have all the cool/cartoonic characters.
Regards.