Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

recurrent loss of voice..

Hi! I always experience hoarseness of voice. It is recurring is it because I smoke or is there something wrong with my larynx?thanks
Asked On : Fri, 24 Sep 2010
Answers:  4 Views:  875
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Welcome to Healthcare Magic
Recurring hoarseness of voice could be due to many reasons, some being acid reflux into the larynx or even recurrent laryngitis due to viral infection. You should keep warm. Avoid eating hot or cold food or drinking hot or cold fluids. Keep the temperature of food and fluids luke warm. Avoid smoking, spicy food, coffee as they can increase acid -reflux. Do not lie down immediately after a meal, rather only after 2 hours. Till then you can lie at a 45 degrees angle with head-end up. Do consult your ENT Doctor and get a complete checkup to rule out laryngitis and possible acid reflux as well. Eat healthy. Drink plenty of water. Exercise daily.
Answered: Sat, 1 Oct 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Thanks for query,
As you are a smoker then it is warning sign and evaluation is required as soon as possible.
There may be some growth or oedema in vocal cord giving you this problem.
Consult ENT sp. and get investigated.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Sat, 1 Oct 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Exposure to tobacco is a cause for recurrent hoarseness. If you can decrease your smoking for a few days it may establish the link. Frequently changing cigarette brands will also cause irritation of your upper airway. Other common factors for recurrent hoarseness include recurrent sore throat, infections, allergies, sinusitis, post nasal drip, GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease), LPR (Laryngo Pharyngeal Reflux), Chronic laryngitis, Vocal Abuse, Alcohol, neurological vocal cord diseases. The list is vast, so if you are over 40 years of age, then it is better to get your larynx examined by an ENT specialist.
Answered: Sat, 25 Sep 2010
General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
Hello.welcome.You must get a laryngoscopy done urgently as you are a smoker and has the history of recurrent hoarseness of voice.Good luck.
Answered: Sat, 1 Oct 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor