What do the following blood test reports indicate?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Hello, I was wondering who I would ask about Epstein Bar Virus.
I recently had a test that said the following.
EBV VCA IgG reactive
EVB EA igG reactive
EBV EBNA igG reactive.
My dermatologist said that means nothing, that I had this in the past, but my naturopath says with my symptoms this means EBV has been reactivated. Where is the truth behind these practices?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
EBV MARKERS

Detailed Answer:
Hi

EBV VCA abd EA IgG reactive means person has A current or recent EBV infection

VCA IgG and EBNA positive but VCA IgM negative means the person tested had a previous EBV infection

VCA IgG, EA IgG and EBNA positive means reactivated virus

hence in your case it is a reactivated virus infection.

any further questions are always welcome

Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 3 hours later
I have dealt with a sore throat for 2 years now, and have been told I have reflux, allergies, muscle dysphonia..everything! I have tried all diets to try and battle this, but nothing seems to work. Could this EPV reactivated virus mean that I have this and would a constant low grade sore throat be a symptom? What would be the best way to treat this? How would I go about getting symptom relief for this?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Chronic EBV INFECTION

Detailed Answer:
hi
Thanks for the follow up query.
chronic Epstein bar virus infection can be related to various diseases..my advise is u should consult an immunologist for this..
you should get some investigations done like a complete hemogram, liver function test and ultrasound abdomen to rule out any outcome of this infection.
also get a throat swab for culture sensitivity done.

Immunosuppressive agents, are often used to temporarily reduce symptoms but there is no permanent cure. antiviral drugs are also being used.

For symptomatic relief, use hexidine gargle and take tablet vitamin c once daily
you can contact me again if you have any further questions

Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 12 hours later
Does this mean I will have a sore throat for the rest of my life? Or could this go away? Or could this go in remission? Do you know of any good immunologists or places to go for this in Toronto Canada?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
EBV INFECTION

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome again with a follow up query.

I am sorry I don't know any immunologist there.

It is not necessary that your sore throat now or in the future are due to EBV infection. Please get a throat swab for culture sensitivity done to first confirm the reason behind your sore throat. Secondly get a x-ray paranasal sinuses done. Please send me the reports so that I can suggest you better.

There is no permanent cure for EBV.

Thanks and regards
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
I have had swabs done with no results and sinus and MRI's done. I have been told by ENT's that it might be reflux, but this whole time it has felt like a very low grade infection. I got my tonsils out a year ago because it was driving me nuts and they said it was very badly infected...by what, I have no idea.

Can sore throat be caused by this infection for a long time? And even if there is no permanent cure for EBV don't 95% percent of the population have it?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
EBV INFECTION

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the follow up query
in EBV one starts feeling better in 2 to 4 weeks, the fatigue can stick around much longer. You may still feel tired a couple of months later.
Like other viruses, Epstein-Barr can't be treated with antibiotics. It clears up on its own without treatment in a few weeks.
Only in few people it gets reactivated..
Don't be disheartened..it will take sometime to be fine..just continue with symptomatic treatment..but if symptoms persist more than 6 weeks, please consult again..

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 11 hours later
Can it keep on reactivating? And is an immunologist the best doctor for this situation? Because I have had symptoms for a year and a half now!
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
EBV INFECTION

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for contacting again
EBV if reactivated means you have not enough antibodies formed against it. The severity of infection decreases with each episode but I won't keep you in dark..there are chances of other complications that increases with re infection..

My advise is you should consult a immunologist or a good physician as he can keep a check on any future implications of this infection.

I hope to help you in to my best possible.

Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Thank you for all your help!
Would a good immunologist be testing for the reactivation of the EBV virus every 6 months or so? What else should they be testing for, because I feel like no specialist here in Canada is very thorough!
Brief Answer:
EBV INFECTION

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The virus is already tested positive..i don't think re testing is required for that.
There are some diseases caused by this virus which should be ruled out. this can be done on examination as well as few Lab investigations might be required. An immunologist is a physician only with expertise in this regard. So it would be fine if you consult a good physician also.
I wish you a speedy recovery and good health.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D